Sunday, November 13, 2005

L'Ennui

All right.

I've been back on the island for nine days now, and I'm getting a mite bored. Okay - really bored. Admittedly, the farthest I'd gone in these nine days was to the coffee shop a couple of blocks down the road for dinner one night (my Dad drove), and that was as many times as I have left the house. (I did wander around my front and back yards a few times though.)

The three friends who are aware of my arrival since my first day back have all expressed incredulity that: one, I manage to stay cooped up in the house and still retain my sanity (they obviously don't know me well enough); and, two, I have still yet to visit my beloved Little India (people always have that expectation about me).

The fact is, the stinking heat is awfully persuasive; it's convinced me that indoor boredom is preferable to outdoor activity, and that I really have no pressing desire whatsoever to visit my favorite old haunts.

Still, I must get out of the house. With or without my friends (who are all either at work or in school), I must go out and do something.

The thing is, while I actually like going out for jaunts alone, I sometimes wish for somebody to talk to on long commutes. I always feel the loneliest when taking public transportation on my own. It's funny how I could get used to - and even prefer - watching movies alone, but not taking the bus or train. Occasionally it gets to me so much that I have to fight the urge to make conversation with the strangers sitting or standing next to me. (I know if I ever did try to strike up a conversation with them, they'd be edging away from me while giving me looks normally reserved for rabied canines on the loose ... which, on the other hand, is not a completely bad thing if you're just dying for some personal space.)

I suppose I'll live.

Maybe I'll catch Saving Face (which I've wanted to watch ever since I read about it on AfterEllen.com earlier this year - and I can't wait for Bam Bam and Celeste to hit the local cinemas ... if it ever would), find out where graphic novels are sold in Singapore besides Kinokuniya and Borders(?), and maybe buy me a couple of pieces of burfi and laDDū tomorrow.

Or maybe I should start sending out my (as yet unwritten) résumé, hope for invitations to interviews, and shop for outfits more appropriate for future interviews than my island-girl getups (too-short sun-dresses and wrap-skirts, skimpy spaghetti-strap tops, capris, and sandals).

... somehow - and I don't know why - indoor boredom seems more and more appealing every second ...



(12:24 SGT)

2 Comments:

Blogger limegreenspyda said...

saving face was not as good as expected, i think.

and yeah, i hate the obsession with weight... all those ads in the papers! gah!

i like to commute and wander around crowded places alone sometimes. hope you get to check out little india soon! go when the heat is not as bad - in the evenings!

Mon Nov 14, 01:13:00 AM GMT+13  
Blogger Yours truly said...

Am aware that you're back.

But somehow, welcome back seems rather lame, thus, the lack of acknowledgement. That and I'm ridiculously busy. *grimace*

so considered this my "hi. nice to have you back" message.

PS: i register my astonishment tat you have yet to visit Little India.

wink.

Mon Nov 14, 02:19:00 AM GMT+13  

Post a Comment

<< Home