Tuesday, January 03, 2006

When You Fall In A Dream

I remember a dream from yesterday morning.

In one of the Sandman books (can't remember which - maybe Fables and Reflections), there is this short story about a man (a playwright, I think) who, on the eve of the opening of his play, freaks out because he is suddenly overwhelmed by self-doubt.

He falls asleep and meets Dream, who helps him with his fear of falling. The concluding line of story goes something like: "When you fall in a dream, sometimes you die, sometimes you wake up, and sometimes you learn to fly."

In my dream, I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. Standing in front of my wardrobe, dressing, I decided to give in to my exhaustion; my eyes closed and I let myself fall backward.

Eyes closed, I kept waiting for the pain to hit me - the pain of my back colliding with my bed-frame and of my butt hitting the floor - but it never came ... because I didn't seem to stop falling.

It was a very, very gentle; I was almost floating, like a feather gliding down to the ground. It seemed to last for ever.

Finally, curiosity drove my eyes open, and I found myself having already fallen. I didn't fall awake, as I did before; I just fell, and kept falling, until I opened my eyes. If I hadn't opened my eyes, I might still be falling.

Like Alice down the rabbit-hole - except I'd never stop falling.

When you fall in a dream, sometimes you don't die, you don't wake up, and you don't learn to fly; sometimes, you just fall forever.

And when you don't stop falling, you stop fearing.



I wish I never opened my eyes.

2 Comments:

Blogger limegreenspyda said...

no no! that line came from Dream's little conversation with a little girl he met in the airplane, while on a search for the prodigal, Destruction, with Delirium!

ok. that was a mouthful.

Wed Jan 04, 04:25:00 AM GMT+13  
Blogger s said...

isn't the little girl more concerned about what is real and what isn't; something like, how she can be sure whether she can really fly (in her dreams) or she's only dreaming she could fly?

gosh, i've got my stories all confused ...

Wed Jan 04, 02:27:00 PM GMT+13  

Post a Comment

<< Home