Friday, March 03, 2006

1)
One morning, as Fel was telling Jessica and me to be sensitive to the relationship between the grown-ups and children ("... they may also be adoptive parents, nannies, same-sex parents ..."), she quickly added, "Same-sex parents, I don't think there are any in Singapore."

"Yet," I muttered, not so softly.

Fel heard me and remarked, "At the rate Singapore is going - very soon."

It's not what she said, but how she said it - which was a mix of disapproval and disdain.

She might've mistaken my commen, or she might be expressing her own views - I don't know. Either way, I wanted to comment on her remark, but I didn't.

I should've said something, but I didn't.

I should've said something.



2)
When Jessica and I were observing a Level 1 class and cooing over the adorable little tykes, she turned to me and whispered excitedly, "That Chinese baby, when she smiles, you can't see her eyes! She's so cute!" Then she demonstrated the baby's expression, scrunching up her eyes even as she pulled the corners of her eyes back with her fingers.

And I found that completely hilarious ... because I thought that was an acute observation of nearly all babies with Mongoloid features.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home