Wednesday, April 26, 2006

It's A Sign



I think it started with Fat Freddy's Drop.

Must've been yesterday (or Sunday) when I suddenly needed to listen to something by Fat Freddy's Drop; more than that, I wanted to share the band's music. (So what I did was rip my copy of Based On A True Story and uploaded 'Ernie' - since the two people I like sending music to weren't online.)

This morning, struck by ... something, I decided to run a search for blog entries containing "Fat+Freddy's+Drop" and found myself surfing the Wellingtonista, which - ironically enough - I never knew about the whole time I was in Welly.

I found myself nearly tearing at the links to Welly street art - I've sorely missed seeing those.

This morning, I also had to find something new to wear around my neck since the blue stone cresent I always wore had broken yesterday. Only two necklaces in my jewelry boxes caught my attention, and they both had tiki pendants. I ended up choosing the carved wood and paua one I'd bought in Rotorua.

Then, on my way to work, the telly screens on the bus were showing Channel News Asia - which was having 'live' interviews with a couple of Kiwi diplomats (or something or other).

I'd thought then what a coincidence it was that my day appeared to be starting with all things Kiwi.

Later in the day, during my meeting with Mr. P., he asked, "What happened to your moon?"

After I'd told him, he asked, "So, what's that [on my neck]?"

I told him it was a Maori carving, but left out the part about the tiki being a symbol of fertility. (No point in leaving myself wide open for possible jibes and/or analysis, after all.)

He said, "Interesting. I like the eyes - they glow", then we starting the meeting proper. On today's agenda was the new project - myths and legends based on nationality. Mr. P. asked Debra and me to pick our favorite countries.

Debra, like someone I used to know, turned out to be completely crazy about Ireland and everything from and about the country, so she immediately picked Ireland.

I declined to choose mainly because I don't in fact have a favorite country. You'd think I'd choose India ... but no, I didn't - it never occurred to me that I should at all.

It was then Mr. P. revealed to me, "Actually, I've been thinking you should take New Zealand; then when you came in wearing that thing - it's a sign! So you take New Zealand and Australia, okay?"

Ohhhhkay.

Now, I know I'm alternately too densed and blind, and overly sensitive to coincidences, but this whole day has just gotta be one huge fucking sign, right?

A sign that's as subtle as a ten-foot billboard with neon letterings surrounded by millions of blinking lights.

The question is: what is it a sign of?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home