At 09:34 (In Bus Number 36)
It is a gray rainy morning here in Singapore, and I'm - I won't say happy, but - at peace.
Of course, I'm also falling ill, which may explain my state of numb and passive stillness - which is encouraged by a lethargic lack of energy (and emotion) to do anything save slouching like a sack of potatoes and spacing out.
It occurs to me that I'm fast exceeding my annual quota for falling sick here in Singapore, ever since I returned to Singapore from Welly. Used to be, I fall sick, like, thrice a year - at the very most - excluding (minor) physical injuries (usually of a pedal nature) such as sprained ankles and scalded feet: once after the SIN-AKL flight, once during winter, and an optional one time that may or may not occur after the AKL-SIN flight.
Way before that, I average falling sick once a year - constitution of a brick shithouse and all. The worst illness I had before Welly happened was back in 1999 - right slap in the middle of a graded class project for TP's Open House. (Have I got perfect timing, or what?)
But, the job at the play center has changed me. I used to loathe falling ill - now, I take it as a blessing.
It's a blessing that, at 09:34, I'm in bus number 36, hurtling over the highway on my way home. All because I'm falling sick.
Stuff healthy constitutions - I'm taking the day off. There isn't a kid adorable and lovable enough for me to feel bad about taking the day off.
Of course, I'm also falling ill, which may explain my state of numb and passive stillness - which is encouraged by a lethargic lack of energy (and emotion) to do anything save slouching like a sack of potatoes and spacing out.
It occurs to me that I'm fast exceeding my annual quota for falling sick here in Singapore, ever since I returned to Singapore from Welly. Used to be, I fall sick, like, thrice a year - at the very most - excluding (minor) physical injuries (usually of a pedal nature) such as sprained ankles and scalded feet: once after the SIN-AKL flight, once during winter, and an optional one time that may or may not occur after the AKL-SIN flight.
Way before that, I average falling sick once a year - constitution of a brick shithouse and all. The worst illness I had before Welly happened was back in 1999 - right slap in the middle of a graded class project for TP's Open House. (Have I got perfect timing, or what?)
But, the job at the play center has changed me. I used to loathe falling ill - now, I take it as a blessing.
It's a blessing that, at 09:34, I'm in bus number 36, hurtling over the highway on my way home. All because I'm falling sick.
Stuff healthy constitutions - I'm taking the day off. There isn't a kid adorable and lovable enough for me to feel bad about taking the day off.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home